Monday, January 16, 2012

Week one of Native American Literature

   
     When it comes to the film Reel Injun, I was much more intrigued.  It was disappointing to find out that all the headbands I've seen on all those native Americans were really just wig holders.  To see American Indian children growing up with our the Hollywood interpretation of them influencing their own self-image... is heartbreaking.  I knew there would be a certain amount of guilt in this class and I'm already feeling a thick layer of it poured over me like icy rotten frosting.
     I was happy to see Adam beach on there because, prior to the viewing, I was already a fan of his.  He portrayed an American Indian fireworks stand owner in the silly film Joe Dirt and (in a much better role) Detective Beach in a season or two of Law and Order: Special Victims Unit.  I was legitimately disappointed when his character was written out because his unique delivery of lines and familiarity with every corner of the city added a quirky, mysterious element to the cast.
    I was shocked when I saw the John Wayne clip showed the duke shooting a dead Indian in the face... Although I've never watched his movies I'd always assumed he was one of those loner cowboys that always did the right thing no matter what the law or the outlaws said.  It reminded me of the recent event where U.S. troops pissed on the corpse of a dead Taliban fighter.  There are major differences between the two situations ( the most of which is the fiction vs. truth element) but they show the same disrespect for human life that I don't want to see coming from an American.  It reminds me that the model of the hero is always up for revision.
     The last thing I will make note of is how similar American Indian poetry is to Western poetry.  I'm not sure if anyone will find that incorrect or offensive, but keep in mind that I do not enjoy poetry and have never been able to appreciate the 'rhythm' that poets are always going on about.  the night chant just seems like a bunch of repetitive dreamy images with no direction or value... just like western poetry.
     I'll end by saying that I prefer my coyotes to be of the Warner Bros. variety but I would totally love it if modern American Indians showed up in film and voiced their opinions more often.

No comments:

Post a Comment